Did you know that April is Alcohol Awareness Month? Stories from kids, police and parents confirm that kids don't gain access to alcohol by purchasing it. It is available in their own refrigerators and liquor cabinets.
We Care New Canaan is launching a townwide campaign to increase awareness about underage drinking and promote discussion about the “easiest place” to get alcohol - the fridge.
This April, the New Canaan Health and Human Services Commission is collaborating with Youth Services, New Canaan CARES, New Canaan CARES Leadership Coalition, New Canaan YMCA, New Canaan Library and others to:
- Ask parents to account for the alcohol they have in their homes and be aware of who has access to it.
- Place refrigerators in high visibility locations such as the New Canaan YMCA lobby, the New Canaan Library reference desk and in front of Vine Cottage during the weeks of April 16 and 23.
- Decorate downtown windows with reminders about "the fridge."
- Distribute posters around town and inside buildings.
- Conduct a local media campaign, email blasts and outreach efforts to share statistics related to underage drinking as well as relevant laws and potential consequences throughout the month of April.