On Jan. 10, the will present its recommendations at Town Hall. Before they do, here's a recap of commercial comings and goings this year.
Closed in 2011
- , , , --- New Canaan retail institutions all, disappeared from downtown this year.
- To the list of businesses that closed their doors add: and as well as restaurants , and Nantucket Greens.
- Newly opened restaurants: , , , and plus frozen yogurt shop, .
- Coming Soon: , and New Canaan's fourth frozen treat shop, .
- Also new to town this year are: , , and barber spa, .
- Restaurant Mecca: The kitchens left bare by departing restaurants have been taken over by newcomers and several spaces formerly home to retailers now offer more options as New Canaan's restaurant scene continues to grow.
- Retailer Shuffle: While some have closed their door these local businesses have shifted locations, including: , , , and .
- Chain v. Local: The national chain Talbots is gone, but Sleepy's has moved to town. Newcomer blue mercury is a national chain of small cosmetics stores and Island Outfitters is one of seven New England locations for this retailer. G. Albert and Caren Forbes are both "stand alone" locals.