My local YMCA gym has a wonderful program called “Commit to Fit” (what a great name), I joined this morning and was one of many joining and the YMCA was FULL! So what is this amazing, popular program? It’s basically a way to INCREASE MOTIVATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY by recording your exercise sessions, getting a free t-shirt and having a prize draw for people who log 39 sessions in 4 months! That’s it, really simple!
At the start of every year many people make a resolution to get fit and it’s a great time to do it: at the start of a FRESH year. But New Year’s resolutions are notorious for being dropped within a few weeks!
So how do we keep up our resolution to get fit?
- Be clear about your motivation (why do you want to get fit? E.g. Live long, live healthy, be a good role model for your family!)
- Record where you are starting (weight, waist measure, hip measure, BMI, resting heart rate, maybe blood pressure)
- Be clear about your goals
- Educate yourself: are there gaps in your knowledge about health? Consider getting a health coach.
- Get motivated, get accountable, get support, get off your butt!
- Review progress, your motivation, your goals REGULARLY!
If you are in New Canaan and are a YMCA member here’s the link to Commit to Fit information
OTHERWISE To join a community of like-minded health conscious people join POSITIVE STEPS TO HEALTH on Facebook and commit to making 2013 your healthiest year yet!...