LOCAL ANIMALS IN NEED
- posted a notice about a . Pictured above, the cat is called Dee Brown and here’s the full notice:
Dee Brown is our orange, in-home only family cat who suddenly found himself on the wrong side of our screened-in porch. He was frightened and ran off ... last seen near Farm Road and Tommy's Lane in New Canaan. He has been missing since Mother's Day. Please contact with any information or sightings at 203 984-2475.
- of New Canaan-based Save a Dog a Day posted this notice——about dogs recently rescued from a kill shelter who are looking for short-term or permanent adoption homes. Click on the announcement from Palladino for more information.
- See the attached PDF files from New Canaan’s —one about Pumpkin, a previously adopted cat whose owner passed away, so she was returned to the nonprofit—and another about Athena, a 7-month-old kitten rescued moments before a lethal injection. According to Strays & Others, X-rays indicate that someone probably hit her with a 2x4 or something hard that broke one of her legs.
- Good news from , the New Canaan town clerk: At 12 p.m. this Sunday there will be a held at the auditorium. It runs to 2 p.m. “Dogs must be on leashes and cats must be in carriers,” organizers say. “The Clinic is open to all pet owners, not just New Canaan residents. The fee is $20 per vaccination for each pet and the fee must be paid in CASH ONLY.” For more information on what kinds of vaccines will be available and what pet owners need to get them, click on the announcement.
- , owner of , kept us informed of last week’s widely discussed recall of some foods from a popular distributor with her blog post, ."
- Report of a missing 20-year-old house cat, “Nutty,” from North Wilton Road
- Report of a sick raccoon on a property at 303 Weed St., gone on arrival when Animal Control arrived
- A deceased baby bunny was sent to Hartford for rabies testing after a dog was found with the animal in its mouth on Oenoke Ridge Road. The following day, the State Virus Lab reported that tests came back negative.
- Police received a report of a lost Australian Cattle Dog from Norwalk.
- A red fox was reported in the area of Rilling Ridge in the Silvermine area. “Foxes are not a concern, unless rabid, and will not attack humans or dogs,” New Canaan police Animal Control Officer Mary Ann Kleinschmitt said in an email.
- A border collie was reported to be roaming near Saxe Middle School. It was gone when police arrived.
- An injured raccoon on Valley Road was euthanized by police.
- Two white domestic geese were reported missing from Ferris Hill Road. The animals were found in the backyard of a neighbor down the street.
- A dog tussled with a woodchuck at 82 Twin Pond Lane and now faces 45 days of strict confinement on its own property as the dog is current on its vaccinations, but the large rodent was not available for rabies testing.
- Four individuals called about the .
- Report of a missing golden retriever, “Sophie,” from Norwalk.
- A missing poodle from East Norwalk was reported.
- Two dogs were found roaming near 612 Laurel Road, the owner came and collected them.
- A golden retriever was found up near 64 Michigan Road. The dog was tagged so police were able to return the animal to its owner.
- A cat is on strict confinement on its own property for 45 days after it fought with a raccoon near 27 Summer St. The cat’s vaccinations were up-to-date, police say, but the raccoon wasn’t available for testing.
- Police received a complaint of three barking dogs at 37 Strawberry Hill Road.
- A roaming dog complaint was lodged from Old Kings Highway, and police were contacted.
New Canaan Patch in its free daily newsletter each week features complete with an updated coyote sighting map, lost dogs and cats report, deer vs. motor vehicle information and details on animal and rabies calls in town.
Click on the interactive map above to get more details about each individual coyote sighting.
Recent sightings reported to Patch include:
- May 4: Coyote sighted on Canoe Hill Road
- May 5: Coyote sighted at 140 Bayberry Road
DEER VS. MOTOR VEHICLE
Police received no reports of deer vs. motor vehicle collisions in the past week. This chart is up-to-date:
Result for deer
614 Silvermine Road
507 Country Club Road
Smith Ridge Road
615 West Road
Lost District Drive
279 West Road
979 South Ave.
1052 Oenoke Ridge Road
1279 Smith Ridge Road
296 Frogtown Road
Do you have a missing dog or lost pet? Do you have a great photo of your dog that you want us to include in next week's Animal Reports? Any animal stuff you’d like to blog on, or anything else animal-related for New Canaanites to read or see? Just shoot me an email at email@example.com.