Forecasters have upgraded the snowfall predictions and are now saying there could be a foot or more on the ground by tomorrow morning. Snow blowing and drifting in winds gusting up to 35 mph could cause blizzard-like conditions during the storm. The weather service is urging drivers to stay off the roads and if you must travel they're recommending that you take a flashlight, food, and water with you.
Accordingly, many schools, businesses, and organizations around town have declared a snow day:
- The Philip Johnson Glass House's Valentines Pop-Up Store Preview Party scheduled for this evening has been cancelled. Shopping hours will still be held from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- Metro-North trains are running on a special storm schedule with extra outbound trains between noon and 4 p.m. The New Haven Line timetable is attached. Visit the MTA Web site for more timetables: www.mta.info/mnr
- Elm Street Books says, "First we were going to open late, then we decided to close ESB because the snows are increasing and the afternoon is suppose to get worse. Pick up a good book and enjoy a reading day."
- Town Hall will be closed as of 11 a.m. Tonight's Park and Recreation Commission meeting has been cancelled. The next meeting is scheduled for March 10. Tonight's Town Council meeting has been cancelled too.
- The New Canaan Library is closed as of 10:30 a.m. Today's planned event have been postponed: the Blog Class scheduled for 9:30 a.m. will be held March 24 instead; the World Events Book Discussion of "The Year that Changed the World" by Michael Meyer will be on Feb. 17 at 7:30 p.m.
- Classes at Pryority Fitness are cancelled for today.
- Lapham Community Center and Senior Center of New Canaan is closed today. The Valentine's Day party to Feb. 17 at 11:30 a.m. at Waveny House.
- Day Care Center of New Canaan is closed.
- New Canaan YMCA will be closing for the day at 9 a.m.
- New Canaan Dance Academy has cancelled today's classes.
- Go Figure is closed for the day.
- The school and galleries at Silvermine Guild Arts Center are closed. David Dunlop's lecture will be held Sunday, Feb. 21, at 4 p.m.
- St. Aloysius has cancelled religious education classes.
- Congregational Church of New Canaan has cancelled all Wednesday activities.
- New Canaan Public Schools along with the central office and administration are closed.
- St. Luke's School is closed for the day. Thursday will be a day #8 and Friday will be a day #1.
- Francos Wine Merchants has rescheduled the Luca Roagana Wine Dinner for Tuesday, Feb. 16. Reservation holders should call Aloi at 203-966-4345 to reconfirm. Likewise, if you had been unable to attend because of unavailability on the original date of the dinner, call, as postponement of the event will most likely create some availability to this previously sold out event. Luca will have returned to Italy by then, so the speaker that evening will be Kevin McKenna of Louis/Dressner/McKenna, Luca's importers here in the U.S. Kevin is a very fascinating individual and Francos is still promising a very interesting and informative event.
If you know of a postponement or closing submit a comment below or e-mail email@example.com.