Did you know?
- Exposure to lawn pesticides can increase the risk of childhood leukemia by almost 7 times, and is linked to learning disabilities, asthma, fertility problems and Parkinson's disease.
- Children are at the highest risk.
- Despite these alarming findings, the EPA does not test chemical pesticides for consumer safety; they rely solely on the manufacturer’s safety claims.
- In spite of lawsuits against chemical manufacturers and lawn care companies for damages and fictitious claims, their products remain on the shelves.
The two concerned New Canaan mothers who launched Pesticide-Free New Canaan (a grassroots initiative to raise awareness about the dangers of chemical pesticides and advocate for safer organic alternatives) will be making a presentation on Safe Lawn Care and Tick Control. In support of the national Safe Lawns movement, Pesticide-Free New Canaan will discuss:
- How chemical lawn pesticides are affecting human, canine, and ecological health
- How pesticides are tested and marketed
- Why chemical pesticides don’t solve pest problems or grow grass
- What we can do to protect ourselves and still maintain beautiful landscapes
- How-to tips and answers to your questions from a landscape professional