One of the 21 properties located within the “historic district”—of New Canaan is for sale.
The so-called “Henry B. Rogers House” at 18 Main St. dates to 1859 and is listed at $2,695,000.
Should a new owner take the home and seek to do exterior work, that would trigger approval for that construction from the New Canaan Historic District Commission, according to Janet Lindstrom, the 50-year-old commission’s acting chair.
The commission’s regulations, attached as a PDF, list 38 types of regulated buildings, activities and structures. The district encompasses the greater area of God's Acre.
It isn’t clear how often properties come under the commission’s review. According to Lindstrom, if a house in the historic district is getting work done, the group may dedicated four or five monthly meetings to that property and then “may not have something else for a long time.”
According to tax records, the property at 18 Main St. is owned by Jeffrey L. Dirubio, who purchased the Colonial style home in January of 1991 for $550,000. Sitting on .82 acres, the wood shingle roof house has six bedrooms and 2.5 baths, according to records at the New Canaan assessor’s office.