Fire Log: Flaming Oven, Leaky Sink, Accidents

Firefighters also ventilated houses and responded to several false alarms this week.

Accidents Wednesday, Friday, Sunday:

Firefighters were on the scene of an accident on Ponus Ridge Road near Rippowam Road Wednesday, Nov. 25, for more than an hour. According to police, a drunk driver lost control, hitting the curb and guardrail, and knocking over a utility pole. Firefighters stayed to ensure the safety of the scene and divert traffic until CERT volunteers arrived and the wrecked car was towed.

Firefighters responded to an injury accident on the Merritt Parkway southbound north of exit 38, Friday, Nov. 27, at 11:45 a.m.

Sunday, Nov. 29, at 11:29 a.m. firefighters cleaned up fluids spilled by an accident on Lambert Road near where they were conducting a training exercise.

Electrical Fire at the Movie Theater:

A tree branch had worn the insulation from a primary wire outside the New Canaan Playhouse and it caught fire just before 8 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 28.

Fire in the Oven:

A resident on Dogwood Lane called at noon Thanksgiving, Nov. 26, to say that flames burst out when his wife opened the oven. Firefighters responded and helped clear the smoke from the house. They were on the scene for a little more than half an hour.

Firefighters Help Out With Leaky Sink:

The Fire Department responded to a call from a resident of the School House Apartments about a water leak under her bathroom sink on Thursday, Nov. 26, shortly after 9 a.m.

Houses Ventilated:

Firefighters spent about 45 minutes at a house on Laurel Road on the afternoon of Monday, Nov. 30, after the carbon monoxide alarm went off and the basement had to be ventilated.

The occupant of a house on Hickock Road reported smoke on Friday, Nov. 27, around 6:30 p.m. Firefighters responded and remained on the scene for about an hour to ventilate the house after a possible furnace problem.

A report of a chimney fire prompted firefighters to respond to a house on Canoe Hill Road Friday shortly before 3 p.m. Firefighters spend about 45 minutes dealing with a burner malfunction.

False Alarms-4:

New Canaan Fire Company No. 1 responded to four false alarms this week, including one at People's Bank around 6:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 29.

The alarm at a house on Hickock Road set off the alarm on the afternoon of Thursday, Nov. 26; the alarm was reset before firefighters arrived.

Smoke from a fireplace activated the smoke detector at a house on Lincoln Drive just before 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 27.

The fireplace set off the alarm in the New Canaan Country Club's paddle hut around 11 p.m. Monday, Nov. 30.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »