- —Patch Local Voices blogger writes about a proposed state law, HB 5409. According to Hofer, the law clarifies that a consumer can be reimbursed up to $500 for veterinary bills after they unknowingly purchase a sick puppy from a puppy store—and still keep their puppy. Read more by clicking on the link for the blog.
- —Local business owner of gives us a great overview of the dog food recall following reports of salmonella poisoning, including information on foods her own business carries, and options for owners.
- 8:29 a.m., 39 Weed St.—A roaming dog was reported to . The dog had a New Canaan tag on showing that it was registered with the , and was returned to its owner.
- 9:18 a.m., 848 Weed St.—Police responded to a report of a roaming dog that didn’t have any tags on it, meaning the animal was impounded. The owner was contacted, and retrieved the dog the following day.
- 10:50 a.m., Old Kings Highway & New Norwalk Road—A roaming dog was reported to police. It had its registration tags on, and was returned to its owner.
- 1:06 p.m., dog park at Waveny—A written warning was issued to a New Canaan resident for using Spencer’s Run without a current license for the dog.
- 1:04 p.m., 297 Park St.—A sick raccoon was euthanized by police.
- 3:20 p.m., Oak Street & South Avenue—A roaming dog was secured on Main Street. The dog had no tags on it, so police impounded the animal. The owner was notified and the dog was picked up by its owner the next day.
- 12:39 a.m., 1484 Oenoke Ridge Road—A deceased baby bunny was sent to Hartford for rabies testing after a dog was found with the animal in its mouth.
New Canaan Patch in its free daily newsletter each Wednesday features complete with an updated coyote sighting map, lost dogs and cats report, deer vs. motor vehicle information and details on animal and rabies calls in town.
Click on the interactive map to get more details about each individual coyote sighting.
Sightings reported to Patch since the last Animal Reports ran include:
- May 4: Coyote sighted on Canoe Hill Road
- May 5: Coyote sighted at 140 Bayberry Road
LOCAL ADOPTABLE PETS
“These sweet little sisters are only 5 months old. Rescued from a kill pound just in the nick of time, these two adorable pups are grateful and ready for loving homes of their own. Ziggy is 8 lbs and Twiggy is 7lbs. Both love to cuddle, play, are good with people and cats. For more information, please contact Strays & Others at 203-966-6556 or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please, NO LONG DISTANCE ADOPTIONS!...We are in the Stamford/Norwalk area of CT.”
DEER VS. MOTOR VEHICLE
Police received no reports of deer vs. motor vehicle collisions in the past week. This chart is up-to-date:Vehicle Accident Address Result for deer 4-Jan 614 Silvermine Road DOA 17-Jan 507 Country Club Road Put down 13-Feb Smith Ridge Road Put down 2-Mar 615 West Road DOA 13-Mar Lost District Drive Ran away 23-Mar 279 West Road DOA 16-Apr 979 South Ave. DOA 17-Apr 1052 Oenoke Ridge Road Ran away 17-Apr 1279 Smith Ridge Road DOA 24-Apr 296 Frogtown Road DOA
Do you have a missing dog or lost pet? Do you have a great photo of your dog that you want us to include in next week's Animal Reports? Just shoot me an email at email@example.com.