Trumbull Firefighters Respond to Fatal Accident, Fire on Christmas Eve [UPDATED]

The Nichols Fire Department went to the Whitney Avenue overpass, and fought a fire on Pauline Street where a house was deemed uninhabitable.

Updated, Dec. 27, 12 p.m.

The Connecticut Post reports that State Police say a Fairfield man died in the Christmas morning car accident after he was ejected from the car.

Henry Mora, 43, was northbound, south of the intersection with Route 111, when his car veered off the road, hit a rock embankment and rolled over, state police said, according to the Post.

Updated, Dec. 26, 7:55 p.m.

State Police have not yet released details of the fatal accident, but more details have emerged in the Pauline Street fire.

Two adults and three teenagers were forced from the home, said Senior Deputy Fire Marshal Alex Rauso. The cause remains under investigation.

The fire broke out in a second-floor bedroom of 29 Pauline St. about 2 a.m. Christmas morning (Tuesday). The smoke awakened the family but the result could have been deadly if the fire started on the first floor, because the home did not have working smoke detectors, according the fire official.

"We could have had another tragedy the day before Christmas," he said.

The fire damaged the second floor and the first floor had smoke and water damage, Rauso said.

The American Red Cross provided clothing and other necessities, and the family is staying with relatives, Rauso said.

Smoke detectors are a simple way to save lives and property, he added.

Original Story, Dec. 25

On person died in a crash near the Whitney Avenue overpass on the Route 25/8 Connector late Christmas Eve, and fire struck a Pauline Street home earlier that day.

Deatails of the crash from State Police were not immediately available Tuesday.

Regarding the structure fire, Nichols Fire Chief John Plofkin Jr. said, "Early this morning at 0156 hours TRDC dropped everyone's tones for the report of a structure fire with the occupants reporting flames coming from a wall in a residence on Pauline Street.  Nichols Car 2 arrived on scene soon after dispatch and reported heavy smoke from a 2 story residence with all occupants reported to be out."

"They found fire in the walls and called for a handline to the second floor," he added. 

During the fire, Plofkin said he called an additional truck from Trumbull Center and an Engine from Long Hill Fire Department.

"The bulk of the fire was knocked down in 30 minutes but crews chased small pocket fires throughout the balloon frame walls for about 60 minutes with the fire being placed under control at 0330 hours," he added.

One Trumbull Center firefighter suffered a shoulder injury during the event and no civilian casualties were reported, Plofkin said.  The fire is still under investigation by the Trumbull Fire Marshal's office and the home has been deemed uninhabitable, according to the chief.

"Members operating on this fire did an outstanding job opening up and finding the hidden pockets of fire within the building," Plofkin said.

Huntington company 3 and Stepney FD provided station coverage in town during the incident.

Meanwhile, the Long Hill Fire Department also helped Bridgeport fight several fires Christmas Eve.

Aaron Leo December 25, 2012 at 09:05 PM
Thanks Sheldon, I will add it. Thanks EMS for your service!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »