It’s no coincidence that September is Head Lice Awareness Month. And with good reason. As children head back to school from a summer of camp, all day play dates and mega sleepovers, the number of cases of head lice rises. That’s because head lice, tiny parasitic insects that live on the scalp, are most commonly transferred through head to head contact.
“Although head lice are most definitely a year round nuisance, there a certain times of the year that we tend to really take notice of it, and back to school is one of them”, says Barbara Gips, president and founder of Lice Connection – the in-home head lice and nit removal company.
What should parents both know and do to prevent head lice from happening to their child? Lice Connection offers seven important tips:
• Teach your child to avoid head to head contact; no sharing of brushes, combs, hats, hair accessories, scarves or towels
• Keep your child’s hair as close to the head as possible; either in a ponytail, braid or bun. Using hairsprays or gels also helps to make it harder for lice to infest.
• Spray your child’s hair daily with a natural lice repellent. Available in drug stores, natural food stores or online, these are products designed specifically to repel lice with scents such as rosemary, tea tree, mint and lavender.
• Perform a weekly head check for lice and nits (eggs). Learn what to look for and how to perform a proper head check: www.liceconnection.com/videos
• Each child should have their own helmet for sporting activities. Keep an extra helmet on hand for when friends come over to play.
• Don’t assume that because your child is not scratching their head, that they do not have head lice – some children don’t feel them in their hair at all.
• To stay ahead of a head lice infestation, Barbara recommends doing a “comb out” once a week with a good metal nit comb. Making it part of your weekly routine is the best way to catch lice early: www.liceconnection.com/videos
Lice Connection is the in-home head lice and nit removal company serving the counties of Westchester, Putnam and Rockland, NY and Fairfield, CT. Using only all natural, non-toxic products and the highest quality tools, their proven technique removes head lice and nits in a single visit. Performed in the comfort and privacy of your home, Lice Connection will check and treat the entire family as needed. Since established in 2008, they have been helping families get back to school and work quickly and safely. Lice Connection also offers head checks screenings, educational presentations and lice advice.
For more information about head lice or our services: