Search Results
Building Department
848 Weed St, New Canaan, CT 06840

The Building Department is responsible for issuing building permits and certificates of use and occupancy, ensuringMore code compliance (including the fire code), and it has the power to condemn unsafe structures.

If something is governed or regulated by the building code, you need to get a permit. Chief Building Official Brian Platz says, "If in doubt, call." Phone calls are cheap, code violations are not. The Building Department is available to review plans for code compliance before you get started.

Permit seekers can track the status of their application in the "Building Permit Inquiry" section of the Building Department's Web site. Homeowners can also find out when the inspector will be coming by checking the "Building Inspections Schedule."

The Building Department is also the custodian of all land use records, including old building permits and inspection histories, and will fulfill research requests for those documents.

Public Works Department
77 Main St, New Canaan, CT 06840

The Public Works Department is responsible for maintaining town More href="http://www.newcanaan.info/content/293/319/867/default.aspx">roads and bridges (the ones without route numbers), including filling potholes and winter plowing. 

The department tends to the public parks and school grounds, as well as public buildings like Town Hall.

It manages the town's drainage and waste water systems and the transfer station for garbage and recyclables. 

The department's Engineering Office issues road opening, sewer, and driveway permits.

If a tree falls on town property and you hear it, call the Tree Warden, whose office is also part of Public Works.

Town Hall
77 Main St, New Canaan, CT 06840

Town Hall is the main government building.

On the first floor you'll find the Assessor's Office, route:More {:action=>"show", :id=>"assessors-office", :controller=>"listings"} -->, the Tax Collector, the Registrar of Voters, and the Town Clerk's Office. The First Selectman's Office, the Public Works Department, the Parking Bureau, and the Fire Marshal are on the second floor.

The Board Room and Auditorium host many public meetings, including the regular meetings of the